Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

the J word: Jealous

Have you heard of the 7 deadly sins? Well, this should be one of them, Jealousy!

Jealousy: a secondary emotion and typically refers to the negative thoughts and feelings of insecurity, fear, and anxiety over an anticipated loss of something that the person values, particularly in reference to a human connection. Jealousy often consists of a combination of presenting emotions such as anger, sadness, resentment and disgust.

I am sure that all of us experience jealousy at some point in our lives, but the last few years I have seen things that I can't believe. Jealousy from myself and others, over the most ridiculous things ever!

One such thing happened this last weekend. I caught up with two of my favorite gals this last weekend. One of my single & free gals, and one of my new mommy gals. It was wonderful to see them both, and funny to see how much we have all changed and stayed the same all at once. What was odd was this weird jealousy thing that i kept feeling.

Lets start with my single gal pal... how lucky is she? Still able to roam free, go where she wants, do what she wants... play on the jungle gym even (ha ha!). Don't get me wrong, I love my husband, but there are days that I wish what I decided only affected me...that if i wanted to wake up and drive home for the weekend I wouldn't have to worry about what my husband thought or had planned. I could spend my money on new shoes or purses without thinking "I should save this money for house projects". Nope, not anymore.... every time I pick up a new pair of shoes i see my Husband's face looking like "Really, another pair? Isn't 30 enough?" He means well i guess, I do end up saving money. But I am jealous of her freedom... her ability to do whatever she wants at her own whim.

What's funny about me being jealous of my single friend, is that as we catch up at dinner she is telling me how much she wishes she was settled and married. Believe me, this is nothing to be jealous of.... I tell her its a lot of work & she gets all dreamy eyed. I tell her that now I know all my husband's gross secrets... does she really want to marry someone that could wake her up in the middle of the night with a fart?? (love you dear, but really?? really??)

In the same day I also spent time with my mommy gal pal, and it was awesome. This, the once crazy and wild gal who helped me get into so many crazy situations, is now a devoted and loving mother. Its amazing! You can literally feel the love just being in the same room as her. She has the sweetest baby AND he likes me! As he napped on my chest that afternoon I couldn't help but envy her, not jealous, but envious. Knowing that some day I will have that, but I will have to wait so I enjoyed the occasion while I could. Her sister on the other hand has turned everything positive and beautiful about this special little guy into a competition.

It was repulsive how someone older, wiser, and a more experienced mother (two kids of her own) could display such jealous behavior. Everything was a one up situation. Nothing my friend did was good enough or right in her eyes. Where is the sisterly love? Where is the sisterly guidance? Where is the sisterly camaraderie about the gross baby stuff nobody tells you? It was so sad to see this ugliness totally ruining a huge opportunity to bond & share in such a wonderful moment. I was revelling in the opportunity & envious, but the one who should have been sharing the moment was blinded by jealousy.

Such an odd weekend... so many emotions tied up into such a short time. It really balanced me though, gave me some perspective on the great things in my life. It is really easy to get sidetracked in what is important in life, but it just goes to show you that everyone struggles with what is important. Married girls want to be single for a day, single girls want to be married. Mom's & sisters may clash, and friends want babies too when a new one comes into the world. But really, its about finding the balance between what you have & want you want in a constructive way. Its about being able to have wants and desires without getting so bogged down with jealousy that it ruins a perfectly good opportunity to share in someone else's success & happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment