Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Thoughts - Harvest, Farm, & Fashion?

I am feeling very creative today with lots of energy.... it could be the rather large Starbucks espresso + energy drink i had this morning... or it could just be a little extra Tuesday morning energy.

Either way, lets chat! It is a gorgeous August day in Nebraska today! This time of the year is usually 90+ degrees and 80% humidity, but with the weather pattern being totally different this year than any in the last 20+ years we are at a wonderful 77* and 47% humidity with a slight breeze... just doesn't get much better.

And thanks to that unusual weather pattern we have some harvest going on. Harvest? In August? I know, its crazy... but dry land is coming out AND it is dry enough to haul to my Ethanol plant?!?!? Now that is the crazy part. A very wide range of moisture (10.4%-17.1%), but very low test weights compared to normal (49.7 lb TW vs LY @ 62 lb TW). Irrigated corn looks wonderful around here, looking for slightly better than average production, which should help control basis levels a little better than lately... well fingers crossed for me anyways!

I've been thinking with all the unexpected things happening this early in the year, that its time for a change myself. No mom/family/friends..... we are NOT getting pregnant anytime soon, i don't need that kind of change.... I'm just going to cut my hair, maybe add a little pizazz! Love that word... pizazz!!


There are a pair of legs under there... it's D!

Soon the seasons will change too... Oh Autumn, I'm just ready to feel those cool crisp nights on my face, the bite in the air when i leave for work in the morning, the beautiful changing colors... and the smell of fresh cut corn in the air! Autumn always brings harvest, and harvest always reminds me of home and family, and how even as a young girl i would sit in the combine or grain truck for hours with dad. I remember helping mom fix lunches and then taking them to the field to eat lunch with my dad and uncle. Even the times i would ride in the grain truck with mom to the elevator were always fun & eventful (no brakes.. that was fun). 

Now i live too far from home to help on our farm, but luckily my father in-law entertains me... secretly i think he is amused by me and likes when i come visit him in the fields with my husband. I'm definitely more talkative than my husband... and i find enjoyment in just about everything that happens at harvest time... except sitting still.. i hate that. I also make a point to look very cute and fashionable with i harvest with D.... he gets a kick out of it. I do my hair (usually loose and wild like the corn), get my camo and pink on and of course my cowgirl boots (not the nice ones... my real farm girl ones that get dirty) Last year was even more fun because D bought himself a newer combine. You want to see a 70+ year old farmer's face light up, watch him play with a new toy for the first time... like a combine. He was a kid in a candy store! My husband too! Well... even me really! I have lots of photos with it & me in it of course. It has a padded buddy seat, perfect for me! (yeah... doesn't sound like I'm 25 and an adult huh? HA HA!)


yup... harvest fashion? If that is possible...

Someday I want this for my children.. them to know what hard work and dedication is, to know what family is, and to appreciate the land and bounty that can be reaped from it! Too philosophical? Hopefully one day we can take over the farm and share our love for it with others. Especially during autumn & harvest!


Until then, I'm contemplating moving my office outside for the day to enjoy the sunshine! I'm also going to contemplate my new Autumn look and what i should wear for harvest this year. Gotta up the ante, ya know! D expects my husband and I to come help him.... just need to do something he won't expect... its worth it to make him laugh! Mama S will just think I'm really as crazy as she thinks! Here is a pic of last year... look for some new ones of this year a little later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment